[ale] godaddy for DNS

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Thu Dec 29 11:12:18 EST 2011

Hi, I have a donated virtual machine to use for a non-profit. Its for the
International Association of Visually Impaired Technologists (IAVIT). I've
registered iavit.org at godaddy. But I'm a little confused as to what DNS
records I need in order to get mail (postfix, dovecot)  and lists (mailman)
to work. I need email addresses like john at iavit.org to work and addresses
like announce at lists.iavit.org to work.
What I have at the moment is an A record with a blank host name pointing to
the IP of our VM, another A record for lists that points to the same IP
address. I wasn't sure you could have 2 A records pointing to the same IP
address but it seems to work.  Then I have CNAME records for www and wiki
pointing to lists.

Can I point godday to a DNS server on the virtual machine itself? I tried to
do that but it balked. For one thing, it said I needed 2 DNS servers. I'm
not sure what the point of that is because iif DNS is down on the VM,
nothing else on the VM is going to work anyway.