[ale] Question

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 09:59:28 EST 2011

One of my former managers said he wanted to hire someone who did this at
home. Lucky for me, I did.

So yes, jump right in. However, also keep in mind that you're coming in
on the tail end of an era. Linux is becoming a commodity skill and the
management wants commodity workers. So you can learn Linux now but you
need to be going past that as well. Add business skills, networking,
team interactions, etc. Be able to do Linux well in a fast paced and
very diverse environment.

My personal opinion is that much of the nitty-gritty is going to the
cloud, so you need to learn to use automation tools and how to keep lots
of servers standardized. Virtualization is critical, take a look at
OpenStack. Take the CloudU training at RackSpace, it's free and gives
you some words to ponder.

	http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/cloudU/

Also, find places to volunteer. You can put things on the resume and you
learn to balance technical perfection with the real world.

Leam