[ale] android tables

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Dec 19 21:10:49 EST 2011

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:53:24 -0500
Vernard Martin <vernard at venger.net> wrote:

> If you are open to hacking your tablet, then the Viewsonic gTablet.
> You can get one for about $250 in Atlanta if you are lucky.

I have a gtablet, I found it on craigslist for $200.  I ran Cyanogenmod
for a while, but Honeycomb is nice for the handful of tablet optimized
apps that I'm using.

The tablet is quite speedy but the screen is really, really awful.  It
is a netbook LCD panel, so the only good viewing angle is in landscape
from "above."  Portrait is nearly useless, because no matter which way
you hold it the screen is out of the optimum angle for one of your two
eyes...

The Honeycomb roms for the gtablet are pretty kludgy and not as stable
as Cyanogenmod.  They're all modified versions of firmwares ripped from
other similar tegra2 tablets.

We also have a Nook Color, that one is running Cyanogenmod.  It is
quite a bit slower than the Viewsonic gtablet, but it has a very nice
IPS LCD panel with excellent viewing angles.  I also think the 7 inch
tablet is a much more comfortable size/weight.

I think I'd have been better off buying a second Nook Color.

Pat