[ale] Creating a website (semi-rant)

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Tue Dec 13 11:52:31 EST 2011

I've seen two things that bug me.  Bloat from junk code and cross
browser issues (both have more to do with the developer but a product of
the tool).  Still comes down to needing to know how to hack this stuff
by hand and how it works at a fundamental level.  I've spent so much
time hacking back junk code from pages to reduce bloat (keeping in mind
a lot of that was in dial-up days).

I trend towards keeping things simple.  Design simple and maintain as
simple as possible.  But the stuff I deal with lately is not large-scale
enterprise stuff so my sandbox is much smaller now.  Even when it was we
built simple tools for low-end users to work with.  In that way we
created a WYSIWYG and is a bit of an oxymoron in the context of this
thread....