[ale] HELP - Out of Storage on /

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Dec 9 12:00:33 EST 2011

The mismatch between du and df is often caused by having deleted a file that is still "open".   When you do that only the name is removed - the inode and data are still there.

This situation can be cleared by a reboot as it will kill all processes including whichever one is holding the file "open".

If you can't reboot you can run "lsof |grep REG" it will show you all regular files that are "open".  Look for a large size for REG without a file name.   You can then examine the PID associated with that and determine if it is something safe to kill then kill it to free up the "open" file.