[ale] Least expensive and/or Best -> Newsgroups Provider ?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Dec 7 12:48:29 EST 2011

On 12/07/2011 09:39 AM, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Eternal-september.org  disallows using AT&T/bellsouth/etc.... as smtp
> server as ATT [surprise, surprise] will not permit it.
>
> I'm  unsuccessful in trying to access the newsgroup master list for
> subscribing as a consequence.
>
> What do you use or suggest I do to access E-S.org's newsgroup list,
> since bellsouth is my current provider ?
>
> I know there are many 'free' smtp servers available, but I've tried
> to set them up for use with eternal-september.org but have not
> succeeded.

I'm not sure that I follow.  You don't need an SMTP server to access
NNTP services.  All you need is an email account that you can use to
receive the communications from Eternal September itself.

So:

  - Sign up for a Gmail account.

  - Go to http://www.eternal-september.org/

  - Click "User registration" on the left side of the page.

  - Fill out the form and use your gmail address that you signed up
    for as your email.

  - You will receive a confirmation page in your Web browser and should
    near-immediately receive an email with your password in it.

  - Next click on "User Settings" on the Web page.  Login with your
    username and the password provided in the email.

  - Click on the link to change your password and then do so.

At this point, you can now configure the news reader of your choice.
When you do, you'll point your newsreader at news.eternal-september.org
port 119.

Note that Eternal September allows both authenticated and
unauthenticated access.  You will need to tell your newsreader that you
require authentication in order to access more than the
eternal-september.* and posenet.* hierarchies.

You can use port 563 instead if you wish to use SSL.

More information, including alternative server names and ports that you
can use with the Eternal September service will be sent to you in the
email that you'll receive when you sign-up for the service.

	--- Mike