[ale] Migration How To

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 14:08:39 EST 2011

I upgraded a f14 -> f16 yesterday. Not a single hitch (I was shocked!). I
used the preupgrade tool.

You will be stopping EVERYTHING during the upgrades. Much of the JBoss
stuff will likely break as the upgrade will be sure to upgrade the jboss
stack which crosses at least one java version line.

HIGHLY recommend you do a dump of your data and a fresh install.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Gene Poole <gene.poole at macys.com> wrote:

> OK, I realize that I'm behind on my personal systems.  That being said, I
> want to migrate from Fedora 13 to Fedora 16 and at the end of it all, drop
> VMware Server 2.0.2 in favor of the latest KVM and move from Oracle 11gR2
> database to PostgreSQL database.. To complicate things more, I'm running
> Raid-1 on 2 - Hitachi Deskstar 1.5 TB drives with multiple partitions
> (including /boot).
>
> I've read that you can only migrate a single version when using Anaconda
> (i.e. Fedora 13 --> Fedora 14 --> Fedora 15 --> Fedora 16), so I can see
> the a full migration may take about a week.  At each stop, what should I
> verify to determine if the upgrade went OK? Should I stop my Oracle, JBoss
> and other applications prior to the upgrade?
>
> Is there some pieces of wisdom any of you can give me on this task?
>
> Thanks,
> Gene Poole

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky