[ale] [OT] Time for a Cell Phone Change

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 19:02:27 EDT 2011

Chris,

I've been with V forever, the $350 cancellation fee is rather new (like in
past 1-2yrs.), in the past it was much less, though I don't recall, maybe
$100 or $150? I'm not fixing to believe that these new fangled smart phones
are THAT much more expensive than the earlier dumber ones. I'm in the
computer hardware business and my mantra for years (a corollary to Moore's
Law) has been "Better, Faster, Cheaper each Iteration." I am convinced the
same thing holds for cell phones, else, how could Metro sell a smart phone
for $200 or less with NO contract???? The way I see it, Verizon has
something to fear from the likes of Metro and perhaps other prepaid plans
and therefore wants to lock customers in to a post-paid plan via
the exorbitant cancellation fee.

Going back to Verizon is my fall back if Metro service is intolerable, not
the intention. But Verizon pay as you go is WAY more than a family plan even
with the REQUIRED extra data $. I actually have lost my phone and have
activated a Verizon prepaid phone @ $1.99/day of usage w/ free "in-calling"
and .05 texts to get me by till 5/4. Also, the $19 Droid X @ $30/month EXTRA
data plan costs $720 in 2 yrs.

Assuming roaming fees won't be an issue when all carriers go with LTE (what
2 more yrs till it is fully built out), coverage concerns should become a
thing of the past. Maybe that is what Verizon & AT&T are concerned about?