[ale] [OT] Time for a Cell Phone Change

James Baker jimbakerforlinux at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 16:21:14 EDT 2011

On 04/29/2011 03:47 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
> So we've been with Verizon since the silicon cooled off and had a
> family plan for the past 10 yrs., but in the spirit of FOSS, I am
> thinking very seriously of kicking Verizon to the curb. I want an
> Android phone and LTE might also be nice, but not an absolute
> requirement esp. as I intend to pull nearly all my data from WiFi.
> Ergo, I REFUSE to pay the required $15 or $30 extortion fee for the
> required data plans at Verizon. Furthermore, I find their $350/line
> cancellation fee unconscionable, not that I have any intention of
> cancelling while under contract, but again it goes against the FOSS
> grain. When it comes to phone service, I am in agreement with Aaron
> regarding the corporapists!
>
> Now, with the preamble finished, I am leaning seriously towards going
> with Metro PCS, they have LTE (though LTE service ends ~ 5mi from my
> home) and CDMA Android phones for what seem reasonable prices. They
> also have $40, $50 and $60 all inclusive unltd plans. The one thing I
> am concerned about is [lack of] coverage, where Verizon has always
> been top notch--their coverage is great, but it ought to be, cause you
> sure pay for it!
>
> My question is does anybody on the list have any experience with Metro?
>
> MG,
> GC

I have a MetroPCS phone. (not 4G / Android ...yet...) It's been ok so far.
Sometimes the voice of the caller drops out and sounds like when you
quickly turn the knob on an old AM radio. (i.e. you only hear a few
words in and out for a few seconds).
You can see their coverage on their website. Just drag Atlanta to the
center of the window and zoom.