[ale] OT: gas going up this weekend

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Thu Apr 28 08:59:10 EDT 2011

The thing about gas going up is it is immediately noticeable when you
fuel up.  It's effect on the cost of everything else is also quickly
noticeable.

Pretending the cost to people is only 60 cents is specious.   It is
based on a one time fill up of a 15 gallon tank and also assumes one
uses only the lowest grade of gas.   It used to be there was 10 cent
addition per gallon on mid grade and another 10 cent on premium.   Now
they are charging more like 15 cents on each grade change and some are
even charging 20 cents.

Once you factor in how often you have to fill up and the fact that
everything that isn't delivered electronically requires fuel to get to
you or the place where you buy it (and then more for you to take it from
there to your home) you'll see why extremely high gas prices are such a
drag on the economy.   This says nothing about the impact on our trade
imbalance which is also affected by higher oil prices.

An inch of rain doesn't sound like much.  However if you get one inch
per hour for 40 days you might consider building an ark...