[ale] OT - Best Auto GPS

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 15:29:59 EDT 2011

Lightner, Jeff wrote:
<snipped>

> My neighbors who are senior citizens are considering getting a GPS for
> their car and have asked if I’d be willing to help them pick one.

I am going to do this:
(this is a paste from a text doc that I have for when I pick one up.
when all said and done will probably use "iGo Primo")

grab this GPS:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002PUXIHK/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1302382575&sr=8-3&condition=new
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+GPS/9351603.p?id=1218090589458&skuId=9351603

Insignia™ - GPS
Model: NS-NAV01 | SKU: 9351603
Reg. Price:
$99.99
Sale:
$29.99

nsignia NS-NAV01 Specifications Microsoft Windows CE Version 5.00 (Build
1400) Processor: Centrality, ARM926T-AT4X0A (372Mhz - 400Mhz) RAM: 64MB
Internal Disk Space: 50MB External Disk Space: 2GB SD Card (SDHC
Compatible <--VERIFIED)

What's Included
•Insignia® GPS
•DC charger
•Windshield mount and bracket
•Owner's manual

Product Features
•Preloaded base maps of the United States
Up to 2 million points of interest guide you toward interesting and
useful destinations.
•Backlit 4.3" color LCD touch screen
Easily navigate settings and functions day or night on the large, bright
display.
•WAAS-enabled GPS receiver
Enhances performance in heavy cloud cover, wooded areas and canyons so
you don't have to worry about losing the satellite link. WAAS is Wide
Area Augmentation System.
•Automatic rerouting
Provides alternate travel directions in the event of a deviation from
the directions given.
•Text-to-speech and turn-by-turn voice prompts
Allow you to keep your eyes on the road while navigating with convenient
voice guidance.
•Route planning
Automatically provides multiple routes to your destination, including
the shortest route, and allows you to avoid highways and toll roads.
•Built-in lithium-ion battery
With up to 2 hours of battery life.

then hack/update with this:
http://netfresco.com/MioPocket/default.aspx
or this:
http://www.geniv.com/download/HACKEDGPS.htm
or this:
http://www.igomyway.com/igo-primo

youtube of the geniv system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI_w-LmUx08

Instructions for miopocket:
http://gpsunderground.com/forum/other-device-unlock/65-insignia-ns-nav01-ns-nav01c-miopocket.html

Other instructions that might be useful:
http://www.gpspassion.com/upload2/MioPocket%20Readme.html#2.2

other places of interest:
http://gpsunderground.com/forum/forum.php
https://winmo.naviextras.com/shop/portal