[ale] OT - Best Auto GPS

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Apr 19 13:13:46 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 13:00 -0400, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> I have both a Garmin Nuvi and a Tom Tom.  The thing I don't like about
> the Tom Tom is that the audio does not mention streets by name.  As in
> "turn left in 300 ft."  The Garmin will pronounce the street name.

I don't want this turning into a GPS thread..

Sometimes I turn my GPS on.  Even with no directions.  The Garmin will
go into 3D mode and tell me what streets are ahead.  The TomTom seems to
be geared for directions.  If I go into view map mode with no directions
it shows me a scrollable 2D map.  I've not figured out how to get it
into 3D mode like the Garmin.  I have a XL.

> Often times you can get one that comes with free lifetime map updates,
> as we did with the Tom Tom.

Beware.  I bought the TomTom during Black Friday and Radio Shack said it
was $130 off!!  After doing research I released that I had bought the
XLT (Free Traffic for life) instead of XLTM (Traffic & Maps).  After
googling seems I really saved only about $20.  The "Free" Map version is
an extra $100 so there is no such thing as free maps.  There is no such
thing as free maps!

On updates.  Garmin gives you 90 days.  TomTom gives you 30 after you
first turn it on.  Research this and know for sure.

I use my GPS even when I know where I'm going.

Chris