[ale] Unix Automation?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:43:13 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Damon L. Chesser <damon at damtek.com>
> wrote:

> >> What he meant was that he was not really a UNIX geek and that Linux
> >> perplexed him :)
> >>
> >> Sorry,  I've never bit**ed about things being automatic.  If anything
> >> I've complained about things being too automatic making it harder for
> >> newbies to learn the internals so they can fix real problems.
> >>
> >> As I said before.  When I got into Linux vi was our config tool and we
> >> learned more about UNIX then than a noob will learn today in the same
> >> amount of time.  If you had to download a base X config and then
> >> configure it for your desktop using vi then raise your hand....
> >> Everyone else get off my lawn!
> >
> > My hand is raised.  30 days to get X running on my first Linux install.
>
> My first UNIX computer was a Perkin Elmer (1982?).  I don't think Sun
> or Apollo were shipping yet.
>
> IIRC, it didn't come with a graphic monitor at all.  We needed
> graphics, so we bought some monitors and graphics cards.  Over $200K
> for a few monitors / high-end controllers / and a polaroid based
> graphic printer. (iirc).
>
> The printer was cool.  It had a B&W monitor that faced up and a
> polaroid camera that faced down.  I think there were colored filters
> between the two that controlled what color was being printed.  The
> primary colors were "printed" onto the polaroid one at a time, by
> physically moving the filter.
>
> Get off my grass.

jeez! You were using computers before they had electricity! Are you sure you
can stand on your hind legs?  :-)

There was a photographer in the later 1800's that was making "color"
pictures with a triple exposure with RGB filters. He would then project the
pictures on the wall using the RGB filters again and overlay all three.
People were suitably impressed. Some lost cache of his work was recently
(i.e. last 3-5 years) discovered and the photography world was in a tizzy
for a while. Cool stuff!

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.