[ale] Unix Automation?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Apr 18 13:15:08 EDT 2011

On 04/18/2011 09:53 AM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Now, I'm not familiar with all (really, any) of the Unix-proper branches
> so I can't speak to their development velocity or maturity , but the
> Linux kernel by all accounts undergoes rather extensive development
> continuously and at the module level, quite closely follows hardware as
> it becomes available as long as the hardware specifications are
> sufficiently open.

Most UNIX proper systems are tied to the hardware that they are sold
with.  That is not the case for all UNIX proper systems, of course, but
for many of them it is.  Linux really shines in those terms, because not
only is there no "official" hardware to run it on, but it can run on an
insane number of CPU architectures/ISAs (NetBSD also really shines in
that respect).

Here's an idea: next time someone whines about lack of automation in
Linux, have them bootstrap a Hurd system or play with NetBSD for awhile.
 That's enough to make anyone want to run almost willingly to an
RPM-based distribution!  ;-)

	--- Mike