[ale] Unix Automation?

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Apr 18 09:55:03 EDT 2011

Being a long time UNIX admin that has also been doing Linux since around
96 I'll have to say he sounds like a one flavor kind of person.   Each
UNIX variant had its own way of doing things but under the covers most
of the basic commands were the same with a few flag variations.   I've
met many an admin that will tell you AIX is the greatest thing since
sliced bread while others will tell you Solaris is or HP-UX is or...
Usually what I find is the opinion is based on whichever variant the
speaker has the most experience with.

As others have mentioned he may be talking about tools used for
administration.   They mention SMITTY for AIX (and SMIT before that).
HP-UX has "SAM".   One thing I like about SAM is that if you don't know
how to do a task from command line you can simply watch what SAM does to
learn the command line.   Most SysAdmins spend more time in command line
than in config tools.   (I used to hate Solaris' tools though - they
were a hodgepodge and not all tied together like SAM and SMITTY.  Not
having used Solaris in the last 6 years I can't say whether they've
gotten better.)

Since many of the administrative tools on Linux are actually distro
specific they are somewhat analogous to the difference in UNIX variants.
That doesn't make them better or worse (or more mature or less mature) -
just different.

Also I don't really think it is a matter of maturity but rather of
different life cycles.   Linux (or more appropriately FOSS) has a faster
rate of change than UNIX.   This is one reason why many UNIX variants
now ship "supported" versions of various FOSS packages - it is simply
cheaper and easier to keep up with that than to roll your own from
scratch.

>From my experience most GNU/FOSS commands have more options and better
functionality than the UNIX commands of the same name.

To me UNIX is UNIX and in that same viewpoint Linux is UNIX (ignoring
arguments about cloning etc...) and so long as I have a command line
with the same basic commands I can generally figure out what else I need
to know.