[ale] [OT] Load Control Switch

Randy handran at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 13 22:52:33 EDT 2011

On 4/13/2011 9:09 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:
> Disclaimer: I am in the "smart meter business" and I am currently in S.
> America on limited bandwidth (installing "smart" meter systems),
> so I can't watch the youtube video, etc..
>
> PLEASE STOP SPREADING THE FUD.
>
> Smart meters are about (in my perceived order):
>
>     Theft/tamper detection
>
>     Quality/load detection
>
>     Time of use billing (it is coming, sooner in the TVA area)
>
>     Prepaid electricity (meter turns off automatically. reconnects automatically)
>
>     "Credit Control" same as prepaid for arrears billing customers, power
>     turns off at bill due date + 3 days typically, or limits to your deposit amount of usage.
>
> Most of them 'chatter" RF at 900mhz or 2.4ghz (or licensed freqs) at very
> low power at very low bandwidth at occaisional times. ie: 1 to 4 times a
> day to some "constant" systems.
>
> On topic: Our servers are Linux based.. Ubuntu 10.04 currently. Some of
> the newer meters have Linux or Linux derived internals. A lot of the
> "smart grid" com gear is Linux based. Great stuff.

Interesting, since you're in the business, I'd like to get your take on
the 'Big Brother' and data mining capabilities of smart meters.

Lee Tien, Senior Staff Attorney for EFF, /appears/ to have some valid
concerns involving privacy issues:
http://stopsmartmeters.org/2010/09/22/interview-with-eff-how-smart-meters-violate-our-right-to-privacy/

-or- http://bit.ly/dTdFto

Lastly, how vulnerable are 'smart meters' to malicious hacking and/or packet
sniffing? Have there been any reported instances of teens driving
through subdivisions shutting off power,,,, yet?