[ale] my cousin's linux computer and desktop not appearing

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 19:40:23 EDT 2011

Hey Narahari!

It looks like you cousin's gnome panel config went south.

If your cousin can follow the instructions here, it will probably fix
his problem:

<http://netgator.blogspot.com/2010/06/taskbar-missing-in-ubuntu-1004.html

====
1.  Press Alt+F2, in text fild type 'gnome-terminal' (without quotes)
and click on 'Run'.

2.  In terminal submit the commands below one by one. Select one
line at a time and press 'Enter'.

%> gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel
%> rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
%> pkill gnome-panel

You can recover Ubuntu machines 'Taskbar". Systems behave normally.
====

Web page had many grateful thanks for the tip.
seems to work.

HTH!
peace
aaron