[ale] [OT]Random wonderings

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Sun Apr 10 12:09:45 EDT 2011

Back when I first started doing systems it was common for every rack to
have a UPS in it and all the systems in the rack plugged into that.

Over time however, most data centers have UPS that covers the entire
room and a generator.   The idea is if you lose power from the grid then
you run on generator.   Everything runs off the data center UPS to avoid
surges etc... (especially when switching from grid to generator).  If
for some reason the generator doesn't work the data center UPS will also
allow you time to power down things in an ordered fashion.

Weight is definitely a consideration, so is space - having just a UPS in
every rack took up valuable rack space.   If every server had to
accommodate room for a UPS built in they would take up even more space
in the rack.

It is news to me that all data centers are moving to DC power.   I'd
think that would be the exception rather than the rule.   One would have
to buy systems that allowed for DC input rather than AC.   Not a
technological challenge since internally most systems convert to DC but
I haven't seen a lot of systems that allow for DC input.   But then
again I haven't really looked into it.