[ale] nagios NRPE proxy

Shawn taaj.shawn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:24:03 EDT 2011

To add to this .. the nrpe daemon needs to be compiled with

   1.  Run the configure script with the --enable-command-args
       option

   2.  Set the 'dont_blame_nrpe' directive in the NRPE config
       file to 1.

./check_nrpe -H x.x.x.x -c check_ping -a "-H 10.x.x.x. -w 3000.0,80%
-c 5000.0,100% -p 5"
NRPE: Command 'check_ping' not defined

So this is better than the error I was seeing ->

CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon.  Check the remote server
logs for error messages.

so instead of passing arguments with a check i decided to just make the
check command static to the server its talking to.

ex. from the nrpe.cfg of the remote host

command[check_ping_mysqlmaster]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H
10.x.x.x -w 3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 5

this returns

./check_nrpe -H x.x.x.x -c check_ping_patientpadmysqlmaster
PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.62
ms|rta=0.622000ms;3000.000000;5000.000000;0.000000 pl=0%;80;100;0

so it looks like im good to go the proxy is working.. Any tips on how to get
this to show as a unique host in nagios?