[ale] (OT) Fate of SCO

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Fri Apr 8 11:00:40 EDT 2011

Really sad.

In its day I made my living on SCO UNIX and rather liked it.   I
disagree with the comment about it only being used for cash registers.
We had over 2000 sites that were running it as their central systems.
One thing I liked about SCO then was that they were hardware agnostic
(other than requiring x86 based stuff).   Most other UNIX flavors at the
time required you to run on their hardware.

At another company we used Caldera and thought it was a good product for
corporate desktops.   They had licensed WABI from Sun so all the UNIX
Admins were able to have Linux workstations but still run the Windows
apps dictated by the company for desktops.   Unfortunately WABI didn't
work with Windows 95 so when we went away from Windows 3.11 we had to
get Windows Desktops.   Back then WINE was in its infancy and reportedly
didn't work with quite a few apps.

Interesting they don't mention the failed lawsuits against MS based on
DR DOS.   My recollection is a guy started suing MS when he was at
Digital based on DR DOS and then when he moved to SCO he bought DR DOS
from Digital so he could reinitiate the lawsuit.   I wonder if it was
this same Darl guy.
(I gather that suit actually had some merit - from what I've heard it
seems MS bought QDOS (quick and dirty operating system) which was a
thinly veiled clone of CP/M and DR DOS was the successor to CP/M.   On
the flip side Digital apparently annoyed the hell out of IBM when Bill
Gates first sent IBM their way as he didn't own an OS.   When IBM came
back to MS Bill bought QDOS and sold non-exclusive licenses to IBM.
That non-exclusivity was what built the MS empire because he was then
able to sell DOS to any clone PC manufacturer.