[ale] [OT] Please Help me with my homework

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Apr 4 10:38:03 EDT 2011

Real world:  I know a woman that freely admits she has the poorest sense
of direction ever.   When she lived in France she said that her
coworkers/roommates forced her to tell them where she was going any time
she left and sent out search parties if she didn't make it there because
she was so well known for getting lost.   She has lived in same medium
sized city in the US for nearly 20 years and when I'd be with her she
could not tell me how to get from point A to point B and was often
surprised when I'd end up at the right destination just by going in what
"seemed" to me the right direction.   Once years ago she asked me to
come and pick her up at her daughter's house but other than the address
had no clue how to get there from where I was.   Since I had no GPS and
was already in the car I did use a map.

Once she saw the GPS in my car in use she immediately went out and
bought one of her own and now seems to get to places without getting
lost and has much more confidence in going places on her own.

By the way - yesterday I went to Chattanooga and saw two backups on I-75
NB.  The first one was up around Cartersville (I think) and was the
first time I'd seen a helicopter on the highway - there was an
overturned vehicle and I haven't seen the news to find out what
happened.  (Not being a rubbernecker I didn't exacerbate traffic by
slowing down to see more detail.)   The second backup was right at the
TN/GA border and my GPS successfully navigated me through to where I was
going.   The route it took was quite circuitous and I doubt I'd have
made it as quickly if I'd had to look at a map to figure that route out.
(On that one I never saw the accident itself - with the GPS I now get
off the freeway at the first exit I can whenever there is a backup that
appears to be standing still.)  I used to do that with maps but only as
a last resort.   Often I find a severe slow down rather than a dead stop
you end up still making better time on the freeway than on back roads.