[ale] Major contributors to the Linux kernel

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Fri Apr 1 21:37:24 EDT 2011

On 04/01/2011 10:57 AM, Steve Brown wrote:
> Canonical has a handful of kernel developers. But you are correct, Mark has
> said that kernel development is not a key focus of Ubuntu. I think Mark
> address your concerns pretty well in one of his blog posts [0]
> [0] http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/517

Ubuntu is primarily focused on forking Debian and narrowing the focus.
Plenty of distributions do exactly that and it's part of why we write free
software. As a result, Ubuntu isn't doing the kind of work that would create
much need to contribute to the kernel.

The largest group of contributors are still unaffiliated with an employer. I
would be terribly unhappy if we looked at that list of kernel contributors
and decided RedHat, Novell, IBM, HP and Oracle are the people we should
crowd around and support for "free software".

-L (Shuttleworth is still a prick, btw.)