[ale] why Linux hurts/disappoints me more than once

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 09:20:48 EST 2010

Have you tried a different distro. Not trying to start a distro war here but
I've had issues with some distros just not liking certain hardware on
install. Toss on a Fedora and see if it has the same failure writing the
mbr.

Hmm. before you try that, try killing the existing mbr and reinstalling your
buntu version. from a running live CD (if your live CD won't start and it's
the latest Ubuntu version that say to me that release won't like your
hardware).

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda size=512 count=1  if your hard drive is sda.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha
<savithari at gmail.com>wrote:

> Here is where I stand.  I took all of your suggestions.
>
> Put my Kubuntu cd, LIVE CD Session wont start.
> Put my Ubuntu cd LIVE CD session wont start
> Put the system rescue from the link one of the members was kind enough to
> provide, burnt cd, session starts but machine reboots.
> Finally one of the old DEBIAN cd rescue mode works
>
> Used fdisk to delete paritions.  Then used Ubuntu Server and re installed
> it.  I chose guided with LVM.  As  ususal install went fine.
>
> When machine reboots and I start up in single user mode I see the folloiwng
> error
>

> http://picasaweb.google.com/savithari/LinuxStuff?authkey=Gv1sRgCJbL1PmLm5Poag&feat=directlink
> Same old VFS syncing issue.  Not sure what to do and how to fix it.  Any
> help is appreciated.
>
> Just cant seem to move beyond the first  screen to boot off of.
>
> -Narahari
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 20:34 -0500, K Phillips wrote:
>> > You should be able to use any bootable livecd or liveusb and mount the
>> > local disk.
>>
>> > If your using standard partitions, it's a few commands (sfdisk -l,
>> > mount, etc). If using LVM it gets a bit more challenging, although the
>> > basic idea is the same.
>>
>> Depending on the run-live, even LVM can be pretty reasonable.  NST does
>> an LVM start so you just need to sort out where your pieces are.  But,
>> yeah, you still may need to go digging in pv* and lv* commands if you're
>> going to dig on that level. Doesn't sound like the case here, however.
>> This sounded like purely a partitioning issue maybe with classical BIOS
>> vs EFI possibly being at the heart of the problem.
>>
>> > Without knowing your drive assignments and partition layout, here is
>> > example commands using the first scsi/sata disk and first partition:
>> > sfdisk -l
>> > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>> > cd /mnt/
>> > ls
>> > cd bin
>> > ./grub-install /dev/sda1
>> >
>> > This makes a bunch of assumptions and shouldn't be run exactly, as it
>> needs to be modified for drive type, number, partition, etc. Some of those
>> commands are also for verification, like ls and sfdisk.

>> HD?

>> http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>> of all
>> it!
>> >

>> --
>> Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 985-6132 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
>>   /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/          | (678) 463-0932 |
>> http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>>   NIC whois: MHW9          | An optimist believes we live in the best of
>> all
>>  PGP Key: 0x674627FF        | possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.