[ale] Maemo 5

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sat Nov 27 12:17:02 EST 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, donald at dwnorman.net wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with "Maemo 5" on cell phones?  I was looking at
> Nokia N900.  I've never heard of Maemo.  It says it is based on Linux, but is it
> open?

I love my N900, great phone, awesome communications device, it nicely
integrates things the the 'Droid and iPhone crowd ned "apps" for
as part of the base phone functionality. Very nice integration of
my GSM cell communications, SMS Skype, Voip and more...
One contact manager that supports all forms of communications.

Poor "app store" if you are one of those types of people.

I paid $9.99 for the better WiFi AP software than the free one..

AT&T only allows it at "2.5g", T-Mobile, Vodaphone (Africa),
DigiCell (Carib) and others support it at 3g.

If you are looking for an awesome phone.. it's been stable
and reliable and everything works. A coworker bought a Droid X
instead.. He's on his third.

And yes, it's easily the most open phone out there.