[ale] why Linux hurts/disappoints me more than once

Kaerka Phillips kbphillips80 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 11:24:13 EST 2010

Based your details, this doesn't sound like a hard drive failure, but
instead, like there is a gpt bootsector installed rather than an mbr, or
other unrecognisable bootsector.
One way to determine this would be to use either gparted or fdisk on the
drive to determine the mbr/gpt type, and if you do have gpt in use, then
install grub2 instead of regular grub to handle this.  If it is an mbr, but
grub hasn't properly installed to it, you may need to do a grub-install to
change the mbr.  Another area that could be an issue is if the boot
partition or drive isn't set to active, this could cause a similar failure.

"Installed UBUNTU 10.04 server, installation went fine but then after reboot
I got Unable to mount root fs unknown block (0,0)."

There really isn't enough technical details here to do much more than guess,
but I would also ask - why Ubuntu Server rather than something like
Mythbuntu?  (http://www.mythbuntu.org/)

Last but not least, did you wipe out the partition table and mbr from the
previous windows install (was it Win7 by chance?)?  Or just install over it?

If you've left windows partitions on the drive, this can also be an issue to
work around, in that you'll need to adjust how grub sees the bootsector and
boot partition, drive order, and where you install the grub bootloader.