[ale] I'm confused

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 08:21:10 EST 2010

I think the explanation lies in the fact that computers since the advent of
the ATX motherboard technology utilize a "soft power switch" vs a "hard
power switch." I.e. the older computers had an actual make/break switch that
positively opened or closed the power circuit. The new ones rely on logic on
motherboard so that the "power switch" now is merely a normally
open/momentary close switch (functionally the same as a reset switch) which
is attached to the motherboard, not the power supply. Closing the switch
sets the necessary pin high (or low as required) to switch the power supply
on. If something gets screwed on the motherboard from static or a low power
state, the switching doesn't happen. The fix on a motherboard is frequently
to clear the CMOS so that it resets to the default. This power drain
sequence is probably accomplishing something similar so that the logic is
reset and "all is well with the world" again.

GC

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Geoffrey Myers <lists at serioustechnology.com