[ale] 30" LCD monitor locally

Sun Nov 21 23:36:52 EST 2010

I would like to remind everyone that most 30" monitors require Dual
Link DVI to function properly. My company just bought about 28 of the
Dell 30" monitors and if you hook a regular DVI device to it, it runs
at 1/4 resolution. (That is a square of 4 native pixels make up 1
software pixel.) As you can imagine it looks TERRIBLE. We could have
spent less than 50% of the money on 27" monitors and they would have
looked a lot better. The only people that could use the monitors are
the Mac users. (Even the new $900 MacBook Air can drive a Dual Link
DVI!) The people in the office with Dells were out of luck.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Pat Regan <thehead at patshead.com> wrote:
> The 28 is cheaper because it is only 1080p.  30 inch monitors are
> usually 2560x1600.  You aren't paying for the two inches, you're paying
> for the pixels.
>
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:23:30 -0500
> Michael Potter <michael at potter.name> wrote:
>
>> I have this 27.5" for $280 from costco (not 30", but way cheaper than
>> 30"):
>>
>> http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11540194/reviews.htm
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Trey Sizemore <trey at fastmail.fm>
>> wrote:
>> > Can anyone point me to a local source to get a 30" LCD monitor.  I
>> > know Apple stores have them, but looking for something cheaper.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > Trey
>> > ----
>> >
>> > If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much
>> > in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in
>> > eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
>> >                 --Albert Camus
>> >
>> > Darwin tbook 10.5.0 i386
>> > 14:13  up 6 days, 18:21, 2 users, load averages: 1.57 1.81 1.67

.!# RichardBronosky #!.