[ale] 30" LCD monitor locally

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 17:33:59 EST 2010

I've had weekends like that. After Lightning hit at tree 6 feet away from my
home office/shop, I wound up replacing all electronics over then next 2
weeks. EMP from a near hit like that can make a few thousand volts appear
across network connections. For some reason, probably physics related, most
computer gear doesn't like 2kV incoming over the ethernet ports.

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 11/21/2010 02:13 PM, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > Can anyone point me to a local source to get a 30" LCD monitor.  I know
> > Apple stores have them, but looking for something cheaper.
> >

> You could try MicroCenter, I had just bought a Viewsonic 22" the other
> day and saw what appeared to be significantly larger than the 26" units
> on display. I did not really check them out as they definitely were out
> of my price range. This weekend turned out to be a rather expensive one
> for me after my 19" LCD met an untimely death from a projectile missile
> or missile projectile.
>
> Brought home the new monitor and hooked it marveling at the brightness
> and clarity of it while booting. It got to the login and went blank, a
> second later the system rebooted, got half way through the boot and went
> dead. It would not power up so I started unplugging stuff and trying to
> power up to rule out the MoBo, when there was aloud pop and flash coming
> from the bank of electolytics on the MoBo immediately emitting the
> notorious odor of blown caps. At which time my wife stated that if I
> wanted her to leave the room I didn't have to stink her out.
>
> Took the system apart and the board stunk really bad and the MPU chip
> looked scorched as well, so back to MicroCenter we went. New ASUS
> M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 along with AMD Phenom II 965 X4 and 4GB RAM. Got home
> put it all together and still dead. Next morning back to MicroCenter and
> got a 600Watt PSU (Corsair) and a PSU tester and a SATA3 1TB HDD.
> Apparently the MoBo took out the old PSU when it died.
>
> Now all is well except my bank account. Sorry for going off track but my
> point is I beleive that there may have been a couple of 30" panels there
> at MicroCenter in Duluth.

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.