[ale] RHEL Questions

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Nov 18 22:13:25 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 12:17 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> FLOSS needs a naming marketing director. quagga is truly bozo-fied for
> name of a tool/process as powerful and important as it is.
>
> something like proroute or routed2 or _anything_....
>
> quagga sounds too close to queasy...

Quagga is the package/project name and it's a fork of the older Zebra
routing suite.  For a routed replacement, which, AFAIK, was only for the
RIP protocol, you would use the ripd or ripngd in that package.  The
master daemon which manages interfaces, adding/deleting routes,
advertising IPv6, is Zebra.

Quagga also includes support for bgp, ospf, ospf6, and should also
include IS-IS but that appears to be missing in action.  In many ways,
IMHO, ospf is better than rip anyways.  You would only be using BGP or
IS-IS if you were doing routing between exterior networks or gateways.

Regards,
Mike