[ale] [ALE-jobs] Opportunity for Windows Admin in PA/TN

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Nov 10 22:10:01 EST 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Sparr wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:
>> Would you rather give one of "us" Linux/FOSS aware
>> people a chance at a paying job....
>> or one of "them" M$-centric fanbois?
>
> By that logic, *any* job posting is relevant to this board, almost all
> of them more so than a MS job posting.

I just hired a kid who's been working the Deli counter at Wal-Mart.. Still
is on weekends. But he can use vi, diff, and write some basic code. He's
learning quickly. While I'm not so sure the Wal-Mart deli job posting is
apropos to an ALE-Jobs or other technology list, I'm glad he had the job
until he found employment as a Linux sysadmin.

In 2004 I made more money as a welder than a Linux geek.
Still have a dead spot in my right eye from it ("instant" on welding mask
failed) The message I got that work from a posting to a Linux list and
kept me fed for 6 months. (I made special brackets for antenna mounts).

In 2005, I took a job that includes babysitting 14 2000/2003 windows iMail
and IIS servers. I converted most of them to a single Linux server. I
could not have done that if I had not taken the job.

It is far easier to convert the unwashed ignaorant masses from within
the castle walls, than from across the moat.