[ale] collaborative work environment

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Nov 9 21:22:25 EST 2010

On 11/09/2010 12:12 PM, John Pilman wrote:

> a file server which
>      marks editable documents as 'Checked Out because someone is
> editing them' or 'Available to be edited'
>      tracks changes and/or keeps chronological backups
>      notifies users of added or updated documents

A quick search for 'open source document management' returns

http://www.knowledgetree.org/Main_Page
http://www.alfresco.com/
http://www.openkm.com/
http://www.epiware.com/
http://www.opendocman.com/

My apologies if you've found these already.

> It would be nice to have:
>     online editing of word processor and spread sheet documents
>     a Linux based solution that I can host in house

The only one I know is Feng Office (formerly OpenGoo)

http://www.fengoffice.com/web/index.php

I can't comment on any of these from personal experience.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts