[ale] best cross platform development evironment

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Nov 8 13:26:23 EST 2010

The first reply to the C# suggestion merely said that if one has qualms
about Oracle/Java then MS/C# would not likely be a solution.

It was the post that said "get over it" that changed the tone of the
posts.

If all one has is "cutesy" names by opponents as one's raison d'etre
then it  shows an inability to argue on a logical basis.  Once you start
attacking the person rather than the argument you've shown your own
arguments to be invalid.

As for me I've noted the irony before of Open Source folks embracing
Apple given that it requires proprietary hardware to run its OS unlike
MS.   I had noted previously on this list that years ago many of us that
were doing DOS (yes DOS) and Windows disliked Apple for this very
reason.

Positions evolve over time.   I once loved SCO because like MS it would
run on almost any PC using x86 and was making my living for me.

Similarly, I didn't always dislike M$ - My opinion of them started to
change when they came out with Windows NT with the stated intention of
taking the place of UNIX.   As a UNIX Admin I was not likely to embrace
that position.   Windows has never seemed a good substitute for X
Windows to me.   All NT really succeeded in killing was Novell Netware.
Also MS essentially gave away MS office (or more exactly reportedly
forced PC manufacturers to bundle it if they wanted the OS) in order to
kill very good applications like WordPerfect and Lotus 123.  Once they
became dominant they no longer gave it away and they've done what they
could to make it closed to working with other vendors' apps.  Having
read many accounts of the way they do business and seeing both the US
and the EU start actions against them for antitrust is all I need to
form an opinion.   If an overarching desire to make money in ways that
are not allowed in agreements they've signed as well as regulations and
laws preventing such methods leads me to say "M$" then I will free to do
so.