[ale] Virtualization question

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Nov 6 12:10:06 EDT 2010

I don't know if this will help you out at all, but I will describe what I
use for virtualization on my home system.

What I use is actually a combination of two things: LXC, for lightweight
containers, and KVM for when I need a full VM.  I have the system setup with
Ubuntu Server on the bare metal.  At the present moment in time, I only have
LXC containers running.  I create them by hand for now, but I am in the
process of creating a set of scripts to manage them to make my life easier.
My goal is to be able to easily provision a new VM with just a single
command, using either LXC or KVM, depending on what the underlying OS in the
VM needs to be.

For storage, my VMs are using filesystems stored in LVM logical volumes.
The LVM volumes are named after the systems that they are for, so that I
don't have to remember things like mapping /dev/sdc42 to a particular VM.
Instead, I can look at the name and know what it is for; for example,
/dev/data/vm.spicerack.trausch.us would be the volume for the filesystem for
spicerack.trausch.us.

Also, using LVM makes it possible to easily grow, shrink, and snapshot the
volumes for various tasks.

I also use logical volumes for whole VMs running in KVM. Though managing
those can sometimes be more difficult since instead of housing a filesystem,
they house what ends up being a whole drive from the VM's point of view.
That can make things a bit hairy depending on the OS installed in the VM.

I have really liked using LXC.  Being that it is in the mainline kernel, and
being that it is supported upstream and that it does things like namespace
parts of the system (such as the network stack), it makes it more useful
than something like OpenVZ (because you don't have to go outside the
container to do things like set up IP tunnelling, each LXC container can do
that in its own network stack), life is easier.  You can also use the Linux
cgroup system to do things like limit which CPUs a VM (or group of VMs) run
on, and limit resources like consumption of CPU cycles and memory and so
forth.

In any event, there are a great many systems out there... LXC and KVM are
both in the vanilla kernel, though, and that is the main reason that I use
them.

--
Sent from my Android-powered G2.