[ale] port question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun May 30 13:43:47 EDT 2010

port number are "by convention" as established in the rfcs. You can change
the port number with a url http://my.foo.com:1234 where 1234 is the
non-standard port.

Your firewall must allow outbound port 80 requests as well as established
connection returns. Your system may send the connection request from your
machines port 1234 to the web host's port 80. The web host will send back to
your port. The firewall will track this if you allow established
connections.

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Terry Bailey <terry at bitlinx.com> wrote:

> What determines the port number for the web client and what is the
> range for these numbers?  So, in general, I suppose if web browsing
> is to be done, then this range must be open on the firewall for both
> incoming and outbound.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Terry Bailey

James P. Kinney III