[ale] Recommended small routers

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Sat May 29 17:36:35 EDT 2010

Well, if you must ask... {sheepish embarrassed grin...}
That's what I've had & run for years but it's crashed right
now pending HDD recovery.  I should probably be using some
kind of "appliance"-thing that's fanless/diskless anyway,
perhaps with wireless (or not...).  Looking for something with
"a good bit" of memory that I can flash something onto when
it runs out of warranty (or sooner if the stock firmware is
awful but the likes of ddwrt or openwrt or tomato or <insert
router distro here> turns out to be Totally Awesome(tm) :).

Some years ago I tried an early version Linksys WRT54g but it
wouldn't talk on my network, so I returned it.  More recent
versions of that router have cut back on the memory & flash &
no longer use a Linux-based image.  :(  (Gosh I seem to have
forgotten the OS they use now... came from WindRiver I think...)
Am looking for something "better" (for whatever definition
"better" might be... :).

-kc