[ale] Fwd: [Mailman-Users] How do you use mailman mailing list archives?

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sat May 29 08:49:43 EDT 2010

On Saturday 29 May 2010, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> On May 29, 2010, at 7:12 AM, William Bagwell wrote:
> > . However I'm also sure most of us are also subscribed to a list or
> > two with private archives which has been frustrated by Mailmans total
> > lack of any search facilities?
>
> errr...  When I'm trying to solve a problem, I almost always look for a
> mailing list that is run on Mailman specifically so I can actually
> search their mail archives.  I find more answers more often in Mailman
> mail archives than anywhere else, I think.
>
> What do you mean?

http://mail.ale.org/pipermail/ale/

Is the 'built in to Mailman' archives for this list which has no search
tools other than browsing by Thread, Subject, Author, or Date within a
specific month.

Any Mailman archive with a search box is using a third party tool of some
kind. Google or Gmain are fine for public lists and there are a few more
options (Lurker or MHonArc) if you have install privileges on the server
where Mailman lives.

None of these are an option for a private list run from cPanel or Plesk.
Which is why I want Mailman to have native search tools. <sniff>
--
William