[ale] Donald Knuth's comment on Linux

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Wed May 26 10:36:44 EDT 2010

I recorded the interview with Donald Knuth this morning, and he made a
fascinating plug for Linux, which I in no way solicited.  We were
beginning the discussion
of Literate Programming, and I mentioned that I had spoken about
Literate Programming at the perlmonger's and ALE meetings.  He said
something like (and I'm paraphrasing
this, y'all can hear the quote when I run the interview)  "I've been
travelling, and wanted to do some programming.  A friend had just
installed a new version of Linux, and
I thought I'd have to download all my CWEB tools.  But I just ran make
on my files, and linux already had CWEB installed out of the box.
Everything just worked".

Larry