[ale] OT - Have you seen this almost trivial solution to the oil mess?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue May 25 16:23:07 EDT 2010

Aaron -

Don't think for a millisecond that I was speaking in favor of BP (or any
of the regulatory bodies or agencies either)! My reaction was to people's
well-intentioned but ill-informed "Hope springs eternal" response as
amplified by the WWW.

We're not in a position yet to even estimate the damage this spill is
causing! Truly horrible.

Concerning the hair donation project, as my friend Jim Mahaffey (of GTRI)
said when he got snarled up in the 'cold fusion' fiasco, "It was because
we all desperately wanted it to be true."

Apparently we now have to dispose of lots of cut human hair, pet hair,
feathers[!], etc, that people have sent, in addition to dealing with the
oil. Maybe someone can figure out a use for the stuff.<SIGH/>

  - JMM