[ale] OT - Have you seen this almost trivial solution to the oil mess?

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon May 24 12:58:53 EDT 2010

Greg Clifton wrote:
> I haven't watched the video, but I suspect that what they are
> referring to as hay (basically dried bermuda, fescue or some such
> grass or dried alfalfa for a higher protein feed) was actually wheat
> straw (or should have been). Wheat straw is hollow like a drinking
> straw, which would nearly double, or at least greatly increase the
> surface area (I'm not a mathlete, so I'll leave the calculations for
> those who are) for the oil to bind to. It is also useless for animal
> fodder, but popular for landscaping (think hydro seeding or more
> commonly dry seeding) for moisture retention and erosion prevention
> while newly sown grass is being established. If I'm correct, the
> animals and their owners wouldn't suffer so much as the developers and
> landscapers, but those businesses are rather slow [HUGE
> understatement] these days.
> GC
They only tested fescue and bermuda, but suggested straw would most
likely work as well and mentioned we are only a few weeks away from a
large production of straw.

I suspect that after collection some bright individual would come up
with a clean way to burn it in an  environmentally friendly way to
produce electricity.  I recall experiments years ago where they
introduced water into a furnace burning waste to cause almost complete
combustion and eliminate contaminants.

Jim.