[ale] OT - Have you seen this almost trivial solution to the oil mess?

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 12:14:39 EDT 2010

Tom,

I certainly agree that the use of hay/straw is not a complete solution, but
it may be a worthwhile and relatively cheap bioremediation measure as a PART
of the solution. My guess is that it would be most beneficial close to shore
so that the oil is absorbed/adsorbed by the straw before it has a chance to
contaminate the sand on the beaches and the mud and such in the estuaries.

As to what to do with the "oil-logged" straw? Probably nothing, the surface
area of the straw will provide lots of places for microbes to colonize and
consume the sequestered oil [food source] and the straw through natural
biological processes. There are microbes in the water that consume oil
already, but they can be much more efficient if they have a medium to grow
on. Think of it as "Petri straws" rather than dishes.

GC