[ale] OT - Have you seen this almost trivial solution to the oil mess?

Benjie benjie.godfrey at gmail.com
Sun May 23 17:00:47 EDT 2010

When I worked for Allwaste ( a petro-chemical services company) back
in the early 90's, we dropped hay bales to contain small spills in
east Texas and Mississippi.  I think the biggest problem with this
approach now is just the shear size of the spill at this point.  Most
responsible companies working on open bodies of water keep miles of
boom on hand to contain spills when they occur.  After only a few
hours on open water, oil spills become almost impossible to contain
due to currents and chop.  Just my two cents.