[ale] Hard Drive "boot sector" Question

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Sun May 23 06:30:33 EDT 2010

Dude, you may be screwed. Older (pre HP) Compaq's had some of the system
BIOS written on the hard drive or some such crap that forced you to buy any
replacement hard drive from Compaq (at ridiculously HIGH price). I once ran
into the problem on an old Compaq notebook that I could not get to boot
after I upgraded the HDD (this was like 15yrs. ago, so I don't think it was
a drive geometry issue that far back since the choice in 2.5" HDDs was
pretty limited). Maybe there is a Compaq format utility on the web somewhere
that would write the required info to the drive, otherwise I doubt it will
work.

GC