[ale] Recovering FC11 default GNOME panel

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Tue May 18 10:27:23 EDT 2010

On Tue May 18 2010, Mills John M-NPHW64 wrote:
> Somewhere along the line I trashed my desktop and the usual "big 3" menu
> tabs (Applications, Preferences, Administration) no longer appear in my top
> panel. I installed buttons for my most-used tools but I would rather
> recover the drop-downs. How can I do this?
this might help??

http://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fedora-users/msg350486.html

The Gnome Desktop System Administration Guide, section 2. Customizing Menus,
provides the information on the format of the .menu, .directory and .desktop
files and tells how they are scattered all over the system with system
defaults and user overrides.  No wonder I could not tell how the menus are
built; they use so many files and in many cases scan directories for more
information to add to the menus.  Complex but once explained it is easy
(relatively) to follow.   My hat is off to the people who QA this feature;
there are so many variations that affect the Gnome menus it must have been a
nightmare to test extensively.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800