[ale] 64bit thunderbird 3.0.4

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Mon May 17 11:42:38 EDT 2010

This way of operating is infecting IT like a disease.

Whether it's on account of client demands, vendor "certification" of one
of their products, PHB-ism, or what have you, the assembly of
tightly-locked dependency stacks was one of the reasons why I *thought*
we fled the closed-source proprietary software world.  I don't consider
myself "Stallman-complete" but whenever this sort of situation appears,
no good ever seems to come of it.  Even this property of RHEL and
RHEL-alikes where the packages are version-ceilinged often seems to take
what should be basic stewardship and turns it into administration
crises, i.e., CUPS has a bug, can't upgrade it, must upgrade distro
version first, but X app doesn't run under the new version, etc., etc.,
etc.

But the RHEL situation is just one example of a larger issue:  trade
away one aspect of your computing freedom and other aspects follow.
Trading away freedom only works if your trading partner is benevolent.