[ale] Should I worry about this...

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Fri May 14 16:31:57 EDT 2010

I'm usually reluctant to talk about salary on this list...  the last time I
brought it up, people suggested that I'd find myself out of work for holding
out for higher salaries.  Best part:  the topic was regarding 40k
salaries... roughly half of what I was making at the time...  ANYwho...

Yeah, don't cheapen your market value by jumping at really lowballed
salaries.  Politely tell the recruiter (preferrably the hiring manager) that
the position is paying very low, and is defintely not commensurate with both
the responsibility and skills needed.  Offer that if they would like to talk
about the salary that you would be interested, but sometimes it is
definitely ok to say "I'm sorry, that's just not the market rate for this
job, and I can't in good conscience accept it.".  That's a very professional
way to handle that.  If you really want to put the dot on the exclamation
point, you can point them to the annual SAGE Salary Survey for corroboration
of your position.

Good luck, man. Hope you get something of a better salary and situation.

---
Jerald M. Sheets jr.

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM, wolf at wolfhalton.info