[ale] Way OT: In case you missed this in the news... Climategate

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 12 11:44:05 EDT 2010

Thanks for the link. ACS does pretty good work (my dad was the head of the
Georgia chapter for a number of years).

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com>wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I found this interesting article.
>
> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/es902148f?cookieSet=1
>
> It about a spot in the pacific with a near surface natural underwater
> CO2 plume.  PH is around 6 at the plume and drops off with distance.
>
> Apparently they are just getting into the study of the area, but it
> sounds like a great natural lab.  I didn't see anything real specific.
>  Especially along the lines of "No coral is living in waters with ph
> of 7.5", etc.
>
> Note: The worst case ph prediction I've read is it will drop another
> .5 to 7.6.  But then it starts to rebound because we've burned all the
> fossil fuels in the world to make that happen and nothing is left to
> continue to push CO2 into the atmosphere / ocean.  The optimists say
> .5 is impossible because all the limestone in the ocean will buffer
> the CO2 and keep it from changing that much.
>
> Note:
> Really bizarre is they also mention that 60 miles from that site is
> another site where the PH is 1!!!
>
> Nothing is living there!  I find it really amazing that PH of 1 can
> exist in a natural environment!

Nature is divers. It's humans that are not!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18759-first-footage-from-worlds-deepest-volcanic-vents.html

stuff lives near these things! It's like living in a smelter furnace.

> Greg

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits