[ale] Way OT: In case you missed this in the news... Climategate

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Mon May 10 06:05:35 EDT 2010

On Sun May 9 2010, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I'm not positive on the total impacts but I pretty sure that a shift of 0.1
> in pH will be a huge change in what lives and what dies in the oceans. It's
> that level of change that allows the red algae blooms that  spell death to
> hundreds of square miles of oceans at a time. That's a localized event.
> Imagine the fishing that will be available if the only place left that has
> a pH in the range to not allow red algae blooms is the arctic ice melt
> current.

not to pick nits here, but a 0.1 shift in ph?
I could find no reference to ph in any red tide listing, but I did find a
reference to massive ph level changes that killed fish here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_environmental_quality_parameters

Atmospheric inputs
 <snip>
  In parts of Scandinavia and West Wales and Scotland many rivers became so
acidic from oxides of sulphur that most fish life was destroyed and pHs as
low as pH4 were recorded during critical weather conditions.[2]

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800