[ale] Gdb Stub for embedded Linux

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu May 6 16:46:01 EDT 2010

ALErs -

I'm working with a Linux app based on an embedded target (2.4.20 kernel on
32-bit l.e. MIPS). I would like to install a 'remote gdb' stub to download
and debug applications by ethernet from my Linux build-and-work-station.
What 'gdb' component should I be building for that? The full resident
'gdb' is too big to be convenient and in any case its not what I want:
sources and symbols are on the workstation.

I do want to insert my stub at the embedded Linux shell level, not closer
the hardware nor underneath Linux itself: AFAIK the apps in question can
all be run and debugged at that level. (They are normally launched out of
'/etc/inittab' and no kernel modules are being changed.)

Thanks for any comments.

  - Mills