[ale] why would it take longer to delete a file than to createit?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu May 6 13:22:31 EDT 2010

On 5/6/2010 9:39 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Look through the hdparm variables and see if your drive(s) are in some
> stupid/slow mode.

Begging the question: what counts as "stupid/slow"?  I know that having
DMA turned off, or set wrong, will kill performance.  What else should
be checked?

And Google leads me to:

http://www.linuxclues.com/articles/20.htm

In general, PIO modes are slowest and UDMA modes are fastest, correct?
I remember a while back I had a 160G RAID array that was literally
taking days to rebuild. Turned out the HDs were in like PIO3 or something.
Changed to UDMA4 and the rebuild completed in fifteen minutes.

-- JK

--
Forget Jesus: stars died so that you could be here today.
  - physicist Lawrence Krauss