[ale] "podsafe" and free music

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Tue May 4 21:47:17 EDT 2010

I don't know how many of you are already aware of this (I really
wasn't) but while scrounging around for music for my podcasts I
stumbled into the world of "podsafe" music.  The licensing is all over
the map, from GPL inspired licenses, to Creative Commons, to public
domain.  But there's a lot of excellent stuff out there in every
imaginable genre.  The first site I've fully explored is the Free
Music Archive at http://freemusicarchive.org/     Among other things I
found 1930s Samba, 87 fantastic folk songs performed by Roger McGuinn
as part of the Folk Den project (his rendition of "Follow the Drinking
Gourd" sends chills up my spine), ideologically committed free music
rock musicians like The Taxpayers, lots of electronic music, etc.

If any of you haven't explored this resource (which is directly
related to the Free Software philosophy) you should.

Larry